Friday, November 30, 2007

Suffering.

So I live in America... a place where it's not that uncommon to find someone who calls themselves a Christian... "a Christian nation" some might call us.


It's kind of strange isn't it though... I mean if you really think about. Some throw around the term "Christian"... some use it so lightly... as if they might describe themselves as outgoing, funny, trendy, and christian. Like it's just another adjective. Christian is a noun! It doesn't just describe someone... it defines them.


The more I read Jesus' teachings... the more disgusted I am with so many people's outlook on Christianity. Because something that Jesus is never afraid to tell people is that being a Christ-follower is not easy... it's tough... it's scary... it's different... it's radical. Matthew 7:14 says "For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Jesus straight up says that this faith... this journey... this way of life... is not normal. It's like everyone is going one way... and we are going to have to go the complete opposite way. Not exactly what some people think when they describe themselves as "christian".


Another not so glamorous side to Christianity is suffering. Yes... suffering? Because what is at the center of the Christian faith.. well Christ of course. And what was the reason Christ came... to suffer... for us. So when we are called to be like Christ.. we are called to suffer.

Narrow path, pain, a hard way, suffering. Seems like a weird thing to sign up for doesn't it? It's something I can't explain... but it's something I just know is right. Maybe it's because we all know that we were created to live for something more... but we've screwed that up... and we all desperately want something worth dying for. Or maybe because Jesus' vision for life takes everything we have and that's what's so appealing about it. Or maybe because it's when we feel most in tune with God... in the midst of suffering.


And that's why I don't feel like many people look at Christianity the way Jesus presented it... because every one's trying so hard to make their life easier. And if you haven't realized, choosing to follow Christ doesn't mean everything gets right and problems are gone forever... in fact, I think it brings about more. But in some way that I can't put into words, it is beautiful. It is right.

And I've chosen the hard way... not to live a "Christian" life... but to try to live like Christ. It means that I have to love people more than myself. It means that I have to refuse to become numb to this broken world. It means I have to hurt and feel and suffer. But it also means that I have hope. I have a hope to offer the world... a hope that is that one day Christ will come back to this mess of a world and we will restore it.


"I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." ' (Revelation 21:2-5)

2 comments:

NADIA SAYS said...

i JUST read that verse in Revalations a few days ago.. soooo awesome. love you meggy

Olive said...

yes yes and YES!