Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Hug Poem.

I read about how you touched them and they were healed
Or even if someone just touched your cloak
they were forever changed.
You let a broken women bathe your feet in her tears
And you washed your best friend’s feet.

I'm just wondering though did you ever just hug people
I mean I know that it's a silly question and all
I'm sure you would have why wouldn’t you
But its one of those things that was never mentioned that got me thinking about it
And how whenever there was a touch from you sins were forgiven and sickness fell.

I think I’m caught up in my sins
last time I checked all my body parts were properly working,nothing special here
I am just a kid with a heavy heart these passing sunrises and sunsets
I don’t think our encounter would have ended up in your gospels or anything
Because all I really need is a hug.

And that's ok for me to imagine right?
That’s not conflicting with any sort of theology is it?
Ok good... then hug me.

But not one of these side ways one arm around the neck type hugs
Or the ghetto right hand clasp fists elbows to chest pat pat on the back back
Or you put your right arm over my left arm
and I put my right arm under your left arm and we make this weird sort of diagonal thing
No none of those.
BEAR HUG ME MAN

Take your old school carpenter arms and throw them over my upper body
leaving my arms dangling underneath yours somewhere
and I can barely move them because your squeezing me so hard.
But don’t pick me up and make my back pop because I hate it when people do that.

And hold me, hold me here in your arms until I start to cry because
I WANT TO CRY
But I just can’t seem to do it on my own.
I have been teary eyed once recently but not even enough for a drip down my cheek.
There's just hurt in my soul that needs to be purged
so hold me here in this hugging pose
until the pain is flowing from my eyes and nose.


-Bradley Hathaway

3 comments:

NADIA SAYS said...

Hey my hot hot best friend. What an amazing friend God has given me! LYLAS :) mwahaha

Meg said...

just so everyone knows..

"nadia says" is not a sixth grade girl.. she's just being ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite poems ever. and Silence. Silence is good.