Friday, November 2, 2007

Death or Love.

So me and some friends have been studying Genesis... and I love reading a book from beginning to end.. not skipping around and pulling out things here and there... but reading it verse after verse.. I'm starting to see so many things that I've missed before.

I was reading chapter 9 and I came across verse 6, "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image." I was a little disturbed by this... I mean it makes sense... it's just... but it seems harsh. I've also been very interested in the different positions on the death penalty lately.. so I've been seeking what God's view might be on the issue. And it seems to be quite clear in this verse.

However, I decided to look a little deeper into the good book. Matthew 5 had a lot to say. Jesus talked about anger saying... "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement. Again, anyone who insults his brother is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.(v. 21-22)

Then in Matthew 5: 38-43..."You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."


So what's the deal? Do God and Jesus have different views on this subject? But how can they.. aren't they the same? My thoughts exactly. But I don't think this is a contradiction.. and I don't think big G changed his mind either. No, I think it's quite similar to what we see throughout the entire story of the bible.

In the Old Testament, there are many many rules and laws of the land from God. In fact, the Mosaic Code consists of 613 laws! And of course, Moses received the 10 commandments as well. But again I look at the New Testament... when Jesus is asked what the greatest commandment is, he simply says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matt 22:36-40) So we see that Jesus almost boils down all these laws of do's and dont's into 2 simple commands. Love God. Love People. I think Jesus is almost saying, do these 2 things.. and you won't have to worry about keeping all the laws.

I will never fully understand God.. I will never fully know how he thinks... but I do know that God sent his son... and I do know Christ died for me.. and he died for you. JC showed the greatest act of love.. and he tells us to show the same to his Father and to others. And even though I mess up.. huge... I know I have someone who will plead my case to the Father... I know Jesus will stand between me and the God whom I have separated myself from because of my sin and he will say, "This is my child, whom I died for." And I will undeservedly be shown the amazing mercy and grace and love of my heavenly Dad.

"Through His humanity, Jesus Christ is able to mediate, that is, to go between man and God and represent man to God. As a mediator, Jesus reconciles man to God; He brings man back into fellowship with God." (2 Corinthians 5:18-19)

This is the Gospel.

1 comment:

Angie Lessard said...

Very well said, Meghan. I love reading your post and hearing how someone of your generation sees things. It's truly amazing what God has done in such short time in your life! I admire your honesty and genuiness...2 qualities I'm still working on today. And I mean how genuine and honest you are with God. At 17, as a christian, I didn't have a clue what having a true relationship with Christ was about. Thanks for keeping it real and for being such a role model!!