Wednesday, December 19, 2007

mundane story.

So I think I'm a little frustrated... I'm not really sure with whom or exactly why or if I even should be about this... well see.. it's the Christmas season... the celebration of our Savior's birth... the celebration of an event so special, so holy, so beautiful.. that it's the only event in history to separate time (BC-AD)... for a Christian, Christmas is the celebration of Christ. So I guess what I'm frustrated with is Christians who are trying so hard to, in some impossible ridiculous way, "embellish" the Christmas story.. or trying to make it more interesting... or trying to take a "new spin" on things... as if that is even possible... as if the birth of Christ needs something more, a little kick... as if the meaning of CHRISTmas has become, dare I say, mundane.

Now I'm not saying pastors do not have all but good intentions if they preach on the Christmas story in a different light or from a perspective different from the norm. And I'm not even exclusively referring to pastors. I think I'm thinking more about Christians in general... and that includes me. Me... that's part of where my frustration lies. Because I tend to let Christmas pass by without thinking. I hear sermons about Jesus. I watch movies about Jesus. I sing songs about Jesus. But it's just another holiday.


Tuesday a guy read Isaiah 53. Honestly.. it took me flipping there in my bible to read along.. and seeing that I had the passage underlined.. to realize I had been reading this several times over the past few weeks. Pretty sad huh. I almost cried as he read those holy words. I heard the pain my Savior endured for me. I heard how foolish I am. I heard how much Jesus loves me. I heard the earth-shattering significance of God coming to this earth in flesh as Jesus Christ to suffer and die. That beautiful beautiful truth. It hit me like a ton of bricks. And there was no spin on it, no new outlook, no embellishing.... it was simply scripture... the truth I've heard so many times... the actual "reason for the season"... and it was so NOT mundane.

"Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all."
-Isaiah 53:4-6
(Please go read the whole chapter.)


Father, please never let the birth and sending of your only begotten son become anything less than beautiful and true to my ears. Thank you for what we have to celebrate on Christmas. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: