Monday, October 22, 2007

Questioning Religion...?

I question things a lot... little things... other people... and yes even god things.

Someone said to me today that they thought it was weird that I am the type of person who questions things because of "how religious I am". He didn't mean that I just accept and believe anything... but I guess typical Christians don't question thing as much as non-Christians.

I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble the other day called "Why I'm Not a Christian". I only read a little bit of the book but I found it extremely interesting. The author had a lot of questions and thoughts... which I very much disagreed with... but I think it's good to see other sides of things and where people are coming from... and it also helps me to really dig into my faith and understand what I believe and why.

Just from reading a chapter of that book, I think the author probably had some bad experiences with "Christians" or at least has seen Christianity mis-represented one too many times. It brought back a lot of thoughts of my own experience as a Christian...

I used to think Christianity was about religion. Period. It was about going to church (check), reading the bible (check), living a morally good life(check). Rituals. Religion. And oh how unfulfilling that was. Empty religion.

Then, I questioned.

And I realized this revolutionizing point: "It's not about religion, it's about a relationship". Christ-followership. Intimacy with Jesus. Loving people. Obedience springing from love, not a check-list springing from conviction and duty. Following blindly with my life, not doing my monthly act of service. Letting my heart be broken with the things that break His heart, not ignoring others and only focusing on me me me.

Relationship not religion.

And it's so not empty.

It's so more than fulfilling too.


It's Beautiful... the most beautiful thing there is.

2 comments:

VINCE LANE said...

Hello,
It's a pleasure to find a blog that actually has something to say. I enjoyed reading it. I don't have your faith in god. But I do believe that goodness, decency, kindness, compassion, love, and all toose types of things are the way regardless of what one believes...or doesn't. See ya.

Vince Lane

Anonymous said...

i love this. thank you.
i'm excited about seeing you again in november.